Burn information

What is a Burn Day?

Burn days are designated by the California Air Resources Board (ARB). Each day the ARB examines weather patterns to predict whether the smoke from fires will dissipate safely. If the answer is yes, the ARB declares that day a burn day. Information is then relayed to Yolo-Solano AQMD [YSAQMD] & local fire agencies.

What is Residential Burning?
(general cleaning of yard waste from property)

Residential Burning is the open burning of yard wastes by household residents. residential burning of green waste includes dry weeds, plant prunings, shrubbery, tree trimmings and branches.

  • Burning may occur only between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
    Do not start a new burn after 3 p.m., or place additional material to an existing fire.
  • All green waste materials must be dry (extra precautions must be taken to account for moisture from recent rains) & free of trash or dirt.
  • Green waste must originate on the property where burning occurs.
  • Burns may not cause a nuisance with smoke and ash to neighbors.
  • Have a 30′ cleared firebreak around burn pile to prevent escaping, clear of all structures and overhanging trees.
  • Control burn must be attended by at least one adult at all times.
  • Have a water source, shovel, and hoe nearby just in case.
  • Burning is the responsibility of the permittee — violations and escapes may result in citations and suppression costs.
  • Burning household garbage, trash, lumber, & construction material is illegal. Other means of disposal must be made.

To obtain a Residential Burn Permit, stop in at our office to obtain your burn permit. Residential Burn Permits are issued from November through April. If drought or weather conditions warrant, permits may start being issued later and end earlier.

Agricultural Burning
(cleaning of yard waste from a producing orchard or field, [gainful occupation])

To obtain an AG Burn Permit, contact the:

Yolo-Solano Air Quality Management District
1947 Galileo Ct., Suite 103
Davis, CA 95618
(530) 757-3650 or (800) 287-3650
FAX (530) 757-3670

When May I Burn?
The hours during which you may burn depend on the permit issued by your local fire agency or the YSAQMD. Burning is allowed only on declared burn days.